Skip links

Do I have to Buy Separate Insurance to Cover A Building Move?

Relocating a building from one property to another requires planning, coordination, and yes, insurance. While your contractor will have insurance to cover their part, should you buy separate insurance to cover other aspects of the building move?

In this article, we walk you through what to expect regarding your contractor’s coverage and why investing in a policy of your own is a smart idea.

Planning for Your Move

When mapping out your home or building relocation, you likely have a checklist of things you need to plan for and take care of: permits, contractors, loans, utilities, and more. But there’s one factor –– perhaps the most important factor of your entire move –– that you must not forget. When you move a building, house, or any other kind of structure, you must confirm that the project is insured.

As you plan for a move, you need to determine what kind of coverage the project requires. The structure itself needs to be insured in case of damage. The contractor you choose should be insured. And you need insurance for possible damage to personal items or anything not covered in your contractor’s policy.

Work with an Insured Contractor

The most important choice you will make regarding your home or building relocation is the contractor you choose. Your moving contractor should have the experience and expertise to move your structure safely and with confidence.

As you consider options for moving contractors, your first question should be “Are you insured?” Any reputable, professional structural relocation company will quickly confirm that they’re insured to move your home, building, or other structure.

Though an experienced relocation firm should be able to move your building from point A to point B with no issue, structural relocation is always a high-stakes event. Your contractor must plan for the safety of their crew and passersby; maintaining the structural integrity of the building; and preventing damage to your possessions. Possessing adequate insurance coverage aids in all these considerations.

The team at DeVooght House Lifters never expects significant damage or personal injury because we make every effort to move your home successfully. But to best care for our crew and our clients, we are insured for every project.

We know choosing a moving contractor has many implications for your relocation. At DeVooght, we come to each project fully prepared and fully insured. It’s the first step we take to make sure you have a safe and successful move, regardless of the size or scope of the project.

What Does My Contractor’s Insurance Cover?

As soon as you confirm your contractor has insurance to cover your building move, ask them what it covers. Professional structural movers will have a comprehensive insurance policy that covers your building move and any incidental structural damage.

Your contractor’s insurance should cover damage that occurs during the lifting and moving of your building. While you are responsible for preparing your building for relocation, your contractor takes the reigns during transportation. That means they need a plan that covers every possible incident during this time.

While every relocation project is different, one thing remains the same regardless of the job: your contractor needs an insurance plan that covers your move.

Do I Need Additional Insurance?

By now you know that you need to choose a moving contractor with a comprehensive insurance policy. But even if your movers have the best insurance for their business, you need to purchase supplemental insurance to cover your building’s move, too.

Your contractor’s insurance covers damage resulting from the move or where the contractor is at fault. But it won’t cover problems that arise from preexisting issues. For example, if your home had structural damage that you weren’t aware of, and that damage was exposed and exacerbated because of the move, your contractor isn’t liable.

Thankfully, many insurance companies sell short-term policies that cover building moves. As you plan with your contractor, purchase additional coverage for your home or structure. Having additional insurance gives you peace of mind that no matter what happens, you won’t have to pay for damages out of pocket.


When you hire the right moving contractor, you won’t have to worry about uninsured team members or an insurance lapse that will put you in a serious financial bind. DeVooght House Lifters has decades of experience lifting and moving structures of all types.

Fully insured and ready to serve you every step of the way, our team can answer your insurance questions to ensure you’ve got the right coverage for your building move. Contact us to get started today.

Get A Free Quote!

Click or drag a file to this area to upload.